Friday, December 15, 2006

An experience of tonsillectomy

Been homebound recuperating from my tonsillectomy. It was the first time I ever undergone any type of surgery, and this even required me to go through General Anesthesia (GA - complete unconsciousness). I've had probelms of tonsillitis ever since I was a kid, and I've now gathered enough courage to get them removed so that I can carry on with my life and eat the Kentucky Fried Chicken with less worry that I'll get sore throat the next day. It' s not that I won't get tonsillitis after the tonsillectomy, mind you - it's just that the chances of me getting it will be much lesser. Also my enlarged tonsils are getting so big that sometimes I can feel that I am having difficulty breathing - I really don't want to die from suffocating while I am sleeping or something like that.

The day-surgery was scheduled on 11th of December. I admitted to the hospital at 11a.m and was told that the surgery was to be carried out at 1pm. Being a first-timer (I sincerely hope this will be the last time!) I natually was quite anxious and felt uneasy about it. Mum was there accompanying me though.

At around 1pm, I was brought into the surgery room only to be told that the doctor was not there yet! So I had to wait till 1:50pm before this young lady doctor came. After which I was put to sleep (it was fast! I dropped into unconsciousness within seconds!).

I was waken up by the nurse calling my names - it was already 3:20pm - this was longer than I expected as I was told that tonsillectomy normally takes 30 minutes to complete - maybe my tonsils were extra-large! ;) I felt dizzy from the GA, and quite an unbearable discomfort around my throat - the anesthetist told me it was normal. By the way the anethetist was quite nice, he gave me quite a lot of assurance and counselling before he put me to sleep - realizing that it was my first time (and hopefully the last time!) and my natural anxiety.

I did not quite feel the pain straight after the surgery - maybe because of the GA. So after 2 hours, I went home. Here's a historic picture where I was sitting on my hospital bed for the first time (and hopefully the last time!)

I went home after 2 hours.

So for the past 4 days - I have been resting at home, doing my best to recover. My only diet at the moment are poridge or soup as I still can't take solid food. Surprisingly the first 2 days it wasn't that painful - it was only on the 3rd and 4th day that I started feeling the pain. I can't really speak coherently as it was quite painful. And my ovula was the size 5 times its usual size! It was swollen that big that I constantly feel that there's something in my throat whenever I swallow or speaks - imagine my discomfort.

Today is my 5th day - and I am getting much better. The ovula swell has subsided quite a bit and the sore part where the tonsils were removed were getting better, with the skin being reconstructed (at least I think they are!).

But well, this was quite an experience - an experience that I would vow to never repeat again! So stay healthy!

No comments: