Merry Christmas to all!
I've just come back from a short trip back home. This festive season is marred by the worst flood ever happened to Southern Peninsular Malaysia in 75 years. Segamat is perhaps the worst hit town. I have a friend whose house and car invaded by water (hope everything is fine now for him and his family!) My hometown Muar is largely unhit in its town area, but its outskirt areas are pretty badly hit too. Think of flood arising to 3-4 meters deep, and people trapped on their roof-top without access to potable water and food. The government as usual has been extremely inept in handling the catastrophe, leaving many helpless and having to rely on private volunteer organization for subsistence.
During the 4 days I was back home, there's not a drop of water coming from the tap - the water supply had been cut without advance notice. According to the authorities, this is due to the flood, for some reason they can't operate the pump which in turn causes the water supply to be cut - well, there's always excuses coming from our dear government. And the water supply cut is an extended one - it's rumoured that it will be a total of 8 days cut! Having no excess to water, my family had to resort to collecting rain water for general usage. I've gone 3 days without showering etc. And everybody else is doing the same. There's no-where in sight for the authority to distribute water to ease its people's woes.
Water, something we've taken for granted - it makes me reflect a lot when I arrive home in Singapore and turn on the water and taken my first shower after 4 days!
I've just come back from a short trip back home. This festive season is marred by the worst flood ever happened to Southern Peninsular Malaysia in 75 years. Segamat is perhaps the worst hit town. I have a friend whose house and car invaded by water (hope everything is fine now for him and his family!) My hometown Muar is largely unhit in its town area, but its outskirt areas are pretty badly hit too. Think of flood arising to 3-4 meters deep, and people trapped on their roof-top without access to potable water and food. The government as usual has been extremely inept in handling the catastrophe, leaving many helpless and having to rely on private volunteer organization for subsistence.
During the 4 days I was back home, there's not a drop of water coming from the tap - the water supply had been cut without advance notice. According to the authorities, this is due to the flood, for some reason they can't operate the pump which in turn causes the water supply to be cut - well, there's always excuses coming from our dear government. And the water supply cut is an extended one - it's rumoured that it will be a total of 8 days cut! Having no excess to water, my family had to resort to collecting rain water for general usage. I've gone 3 days without showering etc. And everybody else is doing the same. There's no-where in sight for the authority to distribute water to ease its people's woes.
Water, something we've taken for granted - it makes me reflect a lot when I arrive home in Singapore and turn on the water and taken my first shower after 4 days!
p/s: My throat is healing to 90% now, there's still some white spots in the wounds, but tomorrow I'll revisit the hospital for a follow-up checks. Tomorrow will return to office, and now that was a good break and I shall start afresh with my work!
No comments:
Post a Comment